Guilt-free lasagna? Really? Yes! The thing is, we have to start looking at food differently. Food is nourishment, food is fuel! So, when you look at a big pan of lasagna, it’s time to start asking the right questions, so that you can feel great about eating it, and serving it to your family.
My oldest loves lasagna, but it is definitely an entree that can be fat-filled and lacking in a lot of nutrients. When it’s made primarily with processed sausage, and not too many veggies, okay, maybe then we should consider it to be something we eat in smaller portions, and bump up the rest of the meal with some healthy veggie sides. However. Even in the case of that lasagna, or your standard restaurant lasagna, you still want to remember: you’re getting fuel in the form of protein, fat (some fat is good, we need fat!), and carbs.
But with this dish? Dig in and feel great about it! We start with a ton of veggies, use protein-dense Greek yogurt, and lean ground turkey! And yet… it’s still so YUM!
While my son still will just about pass out with joy when he eats lasagna from a great Italian restaurant (the full-fat version, of course), he still absolutely loves this version and gets excited when he sees me making it. The best part is that all my kids eat it, and my husband, who tries to be health-conscious, will say, “Well, if Mom made it, we know it’s healthy, so I guess I’ll have more.”
What’s better than that? Knowing you’re feeding them tons of nutrients, but also having them go back for seconds (and sometimes thirds).
Serves: 6 hearty portions
Prep time: Under 30 minutes, plus 40 minutes to bake
1 clove garlic, minced
1 medium sweet onion, diced
2 sweet bell peppers, any color, diced
1 T olive oil
1.25 pounds ground turkey
1 jar of your favorite marinara, approximately 25 oz
1 can tomato sauce
2 c non fat plain greek yogurt
2/3 c parmesan (use two different varieties if you like, to total 2/3 c)
2 T Italian seasoning
12 no-boil lasagna noodles
8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat skillet or wok to medium high heat. Pour olive oil into skillet, then add garlic and onion. Sauté until veggies are soft. Add peppers, sauté until sof
- In a separate skillet at the same time, or after sautéing veggies, brown ground turkey.
- Combine veggies and turkey, add marinara and tomato sauce. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine greek yogurt, parmesan, and Italian seasoning.
- Create your assembly line: yogurt mixture, veggie and sauce mixture, and no-boil noodles.
- In 9×13 pan, assemble your lasagna. Begin with a thin layer of sauce mixture, followed by a layer of noodles, followed by a layer of yogurt mixture. Repeat until all ingredients are used.
- Spread shredded mozzarella on top.
- Cover with aluminum foil, bake for approximately 40 minutes or until a knife inserted goes through to assure noodles are cooked through, sauce is bubbly, and cheese is melted.